Just Say No
June 2 | 2 Comments
Drugs. I don’t clearly remember how I’ve become addicted to them. It may have been my parents pushing them on me or maybe it was me demanding them. It’s all so hazy now. All I know is that I ‘need’ to have each and every one of my pills to keep me going every day. That’s why this story on an owner pilfering his dog’s drugs is so upsetting.
DES MOINES, Iowa – A Des Moines man who was arrested for driving while intoxicated apparently took his dog’s pills by mistake.
Authorities say that Clarence Fenton had phenobarbital in his system when he crashed his sport utility vehicle into a utility pole last November. It took several months for the results of the blood tests that showed the drug in Fenton’s system.
Police say they found a bottle of pills prescribed for “Saturn” at the scene. They say Fenton admitted taking pills and that “Saturn” is his dog.
Phenobarbital is a drug used to control seizures in people and pets.
It is not a drug to be taken if your owner’s primary goal is to avoid utility poles. It says so in the fine print, under side effects, right after ‘Taking this drug may result in weight gain, anorexia, uncontrollable gas attacks and/or crapping yourself in public’.
Fenton appeared in court on Thursday.
He says he didn’t remember taking the pills but did take a newly prescribed antidepressant the day of the crash.
Asked by the judge if he plead guilty or not guilty, Fenton calmly said, “Woof!”
Officials with the Iowa Statewide Poison Control Center say people taking their pet’s medicine by mistake is more common that one might think. They say the center has taken about three similar calls this year.
Maybe I’ll ask my vet for the human tamper proof prescription bottles on my next visit.