Don’t Chew Gum

June 3 | 12 Comments

For those of you that can walk and chew gum at the same time, here’s an article you must read.

WILMINGTON — An artificial sweetener can be deadly for dogs, and a local dog owner learned that the hard way.

Anna Frazelle rushed her dog, Scout, to the Dineen Animal Hospital when she noticed her King Charles Spaniel acting strange.

“He was using the wall to hold himself up,” said Frazelle.

She was shocked by the diagnosis of sugar free gum poisoning.

Sugar free gum contains Xylitol, a sugar substitute found in almost any sugar free food, which can be deadly for dogs.

Veterinarians said they are most often concerned about Xylitol contained in gum because one stick can kill a 20 pound dog.

“It makes the pancreas release a tremendous amount of insulin all at once, it puts the dog into extreme hypoglycemia and that’s where most dogs die, they die within the first hour,” said Dr. Jeff Dineen.

If you fear your dog has swallowed gum, but on the lookout for symptoms such as weakness and uncoordinated movements.

According to Dr. Dineen, ridding your dog’s system of the gum by vomiting is the first step in recovery.

Luckily, Scout eventually recovered.

For more information on Xylitol poisoning contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 or on the web, here.

Comments

12 Responses to “Don’t Chew Gum”

1. pug owner on September 22nd, 2008 9:24 pm

my 20-25 pound pug just ate more than half of a sugar-free back of orbit. he seems to be acking fine but i looked into it and it said liver failer. he ate it yesterday and seems to b ok but is that bad or good??

2. Jenni on September 14th, 2013 2:43 am

It may look appealing to manage the ordinary business chores like collecting rent, negotiating leases property management companies
    los angeles and collecting rent.

my website … chandler property management (Jenni)

3. my review here on September 25th, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi! I’ve been following your weblog for a long time now and finally
    got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble Tx!
    Just wanted to say keep up the excellent work!

my blog – my review here

4. construction civil project on December 17th, 2013 4:44 am

Hi, I desire to subscribe for this web site to get hottest updates, so where can i do
    it please assist.

5. Dragoncityastucecheatshack.blogspot.no on March 17th, 2014 3:03 am

Séchez,farce hélicoptère malgré gémissement derrière pour dragon city cheats gems.

surveiller à partir de pont dragon city how to get
    legendary dragon by breeding.

6. informationonplasticsurgery.yolasite.com on April 1st, 2014 6:37 pm

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m looking to start my own blog soon but I’m having a tough
    time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.

The reason I ask is because your layout seems different
    then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

7. Dianne on April 3rd, 2014 7:40 pm

What i do not understood is actually how you’re not really a lot more well-favored than you might be right now.

You’re so intelligent. You know thus considerably when it comes to this
    subject, produced me for my part imagine
    it from so many various angles. Its like men and women aren’t interested
    except it’s one thing to do with Girl gaga!
    Your personal stuffs excellent. Always take care of it up!

8. Bridgett on August 5th, 2014 3:58 pm

Yes! Finally something about property management dayton ohio.

9. certified nursing assistant on August 28th, 2014 1:13 pm

If you encounter bankruptcy, you must be aware of.
    You may consider that 300 each month is even having a good
    enough memory to remember to never borrow more than you can health insurance rochester
    ny afford. If you think you can properly manage your repayment duties, you had
    better funding. Bad credit debt consolidation and what do you want to find a debt consolidation loan is all about.

10. find here on January 10th, 2015 3:41 am

So if real-time 3D graphics, accelerometer, virtual keyboard,
    etc. While the click here BlackBerry Torch’s display is much better than an iPhone 5, 5c and
    5s? To access data on the iPhone. Here’s a couple of webpage palate.

How do I customise my tab bar?

11. web on March 10th, 2015 12:21 am

With best iphone apps. Separate parts of Incipio Destroyer Case8.
    For today’s trade we suggest you do the same thing with the iPad mini and the 5th generation Apple smart phone as well as Bluetooth 2.
    The reasons are simply it’s additional features and functionalities.
    It is easy to understand and navigate round
    more info as the user wants it to, facing the same pack of conflict problems and system performance that were discovered on the ordinary PCs.

12. Holley on October 26th, 2016 7:21 pm

This website was… how do I say it? Relevant!!
    Finally I have foujnd something which helped me.
    Cheers!