Quick Health Exam
November 2 | 2 Comments
Here’s some great advice to humans, from Heloise, who like to look out for the welfare of their beloved canines, like me.
I wonder if my parents bother to read this blog. I hope so, if only for my own well being.
Dear Readers: How about a quick health exam you can give a dog? It’s simple to do while grooming, petting or bathing your dog.
Run your hands over its head and body. Any new lumps or bumps? Observe the eyes, and check inside the ears and under the tail. Give the pet a good belly rub as you check the abdomen for hardness, swelling, lumps or bumps.
Other things to check:
• Shiny coat?
• Fur coming out other than normal shedding?
• Visible discharges from eyes, nose, ears or glands?
• Lift up the side of the mouth to check whether teeth are clean and gums are pink. Bad breath and discoloration of gums are not healthy.
• The nose should be wet without a discharge.
• Ear flaps should be pink.
A few minutes every month is all it takes. You probably will notice when something is not right. Be sure to tell the vet anything out of the ordinary to help avoid serious health problems.