Top

Not a Myth, Buster

April 14 | 1 Comment

Yeah, twelve.  Beat that Shep!What’s white on the outside, yellow on the inside and in abundant quantities this time of year?

It’s eggs silly…and the type we canines can partake in.

Don’t be fooled by cheap imitations. Take the Cadbury Egg, for instance, which is yellow on the inside, but a discolored brown on the outside. Sure it tastes sweet, almost too sweet, but instead of pumping you full of life, it will suck it out of you.

How many Cadbury eggs do you think Cool Hand Luke could have eaten? Certainly not the 50 real eggs he downed with the help of his friend, Dragline. My guess is he’d max out at 17 before a sugar coma put him out of commission for a 72 hour nap.

One thing is for sure, there’d be no way he could tar a country road for the Boss the next day.

And that’s the effect on Cool Hand Luke! Imagine what it could do to a poor old dog like you.

OK, I’m rambling on like my mother. We’re talking eggs so let me serve you up a cautionary tail (you get it?) for all the Easter Egg loving canines out there.

The five-stone pooch ended up with chocolate poisoning after wolfing down a stash of chocolate eggs which he found hidden away in his owner’s spare room.

Five-year-old Buster had to be taken to animal hospital where he was admitted to intensive care after devouring 12 eggs and their foil wrapping.

Buster’s owner, Brenda Dawes, bought the eggs as Easter treats for her grandchildren.

She said: “When I arrived home one afternoon, Buster came down the stairs, wagging his tail and licking his lips. I knew immediately he’d been up to something.

“He’s a terror and chews everything he gets his paws on – mobile phones, video tapes, the remote control.”

At first, Buster did not appear to be affected by his binge. However, Ms Dawes was woken in the early hours of the morning by the pet’s cries.

“He couldn’t stand up, his back legs just kept buckling underneath him.

“His stomach was swollen and he was obviously in a lot of pain. Panicking, I called PDSA and they told me to bring him straight in.”

Ms Dawes immediately took the dog to animal charity PDSA’s PetAid hospital, near her home in Derby, where he was treated with fluids and kept in for round-the-clock observation.

Buster made a full recovery, but his ordeal has prompted animal welfare officials to issue a pre-Easter warning to anyone who keeps hungry hounds and chocolate under the same roof.

Senior veterinary surgeon Vicky Sims said: “Buster was quite lucky. Creme eggs have a fairly low theobromine content because they’re half fondant.

“Higher quality ‘posh’ chocolates are the most dangerous as they have high concentrated doses of theobromine – which poisons pets.

Many people are simply not aware that even small amounts of human chocolate can kill a little dog. If you want to indulge your pet you should opt for a healthy pet treat instead.

Ms Dawes said: “He’s already tried to eat a bag of crisps and a toilet roll since he’s been home – I’ll have to keep a close eye on him from now on to keep him out of trouble.”

Consider this your post-Easter warning. If you want something sweet, just down a peep. Any peep will do. I prefer the short ones with chocolate on their faces.

Comments

One Response to “Not a Myth, Buster”

  1. cutecute28 on April 25th, 2009 2:29 am

    I only want to say you have a fantastic great looking dog here.

Got something to say?