Dog Bowl Provides Home with Warm Glow
March 18 | 4 Comments
Some are able to recognize them and adjust for them accordingly. Others are less reflective and let their full biases into their finished product. These folks are usually called hacks.
I mention this because I suspect there may be a hidden agenda to a report I read this morning regarding a fire in Seattle. The Seattle Times has all the details.
The spring sunlight that delighted so many across the Puget Sound region this weekend may have been responsible for setting a deck on fire Sunday.
After ruling out other possible causes, investigators for the Bellevue Fire Department blamed the blaze in the 17100 block of Northeast Fifth Street on the dogs’ glass water bowl. The partially-filled bowl apparently concentrated the sun’s rays like a magnifying glass, said Lt. Eric Keenan, the department’s community liaison officer.
“It’s very unusual, but it’s not unheard of,” he said.
The 11-inch-diameter bowl was elevated above the wooden deck in a wire stand, Keenan said. “There was nothing else in that area that could be identified as a fire source – no smokers, no electrical devices.”
No one was home when the fire started just before 3 p.m. Neighbors called in the alarm when they noticed flames and smoke.
The family’s two dogs were both apparently unhurt, Keenan said.
University of Washington atmospheric scientist Steve Warren says the dog-bowl theory sounds far-fetched, but not impossible. “The shape, the height and the angle of the sun would have to be just right,” said Warren, whose research involves measurement of solar radiation.
Bellevue’s investigation is complete, but now the insurance company will examine the case.
“It’s causing a lot of discussion … as to whether or not this can actually happen,” Keenan said. “Who knows what they will come up with.”
C’mon, a dog’s WATER bowl started a fire? What’s next, Milkbones creating famine?
Me thinks this reporter is a cat lover. Hack.