Top

What Can Poison Your Dog In The Winter?

March 5 | 1 Comment

_DSC4204It’s almost spring but we’re not there yet so here’s a few important reminders of winter poisoning hazards to watch out for. One thing that isn’t mentioned is making sure you do not leave your dog outside in the cold.  We’ve had some extreme temperatures this year and it’s not safe for your pup to be out there, they get frostbite too.

With winter weather still in full swing for many parts of the country, there are a couple very important poisoning dangers for pet owners to be aware of.

The salt that is laid down on roads, sidewalks, and driveways can be a major health risk for our four legged pets. Dogs (and cats) step in salt and naturally want to lick their paws to clean them and relieve the skin irritation. However, this can cause a potentially fatal reaction to the chemicals they are ingesting. Some possible ways to prevent this is by not allowing your dog to walk on the salt, use a pet safe deicer, and wash your dog’s paws off before they get the opportunity to lick them clean.

Another major health concern during the winter months is the issue of anti-freeze ingestion. Many vehicles leak anti-freeze on roads and driveways. These puddles can be very appealing to our pets because of the color, odor, and taste…making it a very concerning issue for dog owners. Consumption of anti-freeze can be fatal to dogs and cats if not treated quickly. Possible symptoms of ingestion include: vomiting, seizures, increased rate of breathing, and appearing sleepy.

Prevention is often the best way to keep our dogs safe from these very common dangers. However, if you even suspect that your dog might have been exposed/consumed either road salt or anti-freeze, make sure you contact your Veterinarian immediately. Let’s keep our four legged family members safe during this winter season.

Comments

One Response to “What Can Poison Your Dog In The Winter?”

  1. Denise on March 14th, 2014 3:35 pm

    Also toxic to dogs is kitty litter…we spread some on our sidewalk as an anti-slip and my Llasa ate some. He got very sick, we almost lost him, and the vet fees were $680.00. So be aware!

Got something to say?