Service Dog Provides Comfort To Marathon Bombing Victims

April 21 | 15 Comments

Funny Dog Blog

Services dogs are known for lending assistance with everyday tasks to those who are disabled but they do so much more.  The emotional support they provide is priceless. Here is the story of two of the Boston Marathon victims and how their dog has helped get them through some really tough times.

At Monday’s Boston Marathon, many runners will be on the course to honor the 16 people who lost limbs in last year’s bombing. One married couple was among them: Jessica Kensky and Patrick Downes.

Among many dark stories of that day, theirs is among the darkest. They were newlyweds of just seven months when each had their left leg blown off. Their injuries were so severe that they were some of the last victims to leave the hospital.

But we want to tell you an encouraging part of their story. It involves an 80-pound black Labrador retriever named Rescue who is specially trained as an assistance dog.

Newlyweds Jessica Kensky and Patrick Downes each lost a leg in the Boston Marathon bombing. Rescue the assistance dog helps fetch keys and push buttons, bringing warmth and joy as the couple recovers.

Courtesy of Jessica Kensky and Patrick Downes

To understand why Rescue came into their lives, you have to know how badly Kensky in particular was hurt. Her remaining leg, the one that wasn’t amputated, was so mutilated in the bombing that one doctor thought it should be surgically removed, too.

“My whole Achilles tendon was blown off, a good part of my heel pad was blown off,” Kensky says. “But when I woke up, my left leg was already gone, and I couldn’t imagine losing my right. And I just — it’s such a permanent decision. So I thought: You can always amputate it down the road, but once it’s gone it’s gone.”

So surgeons reconstructed Kensky’s right leg as well as they were able to. So far, her “good” leg really isn’t so good.

Every Step Is Painful

Kensky wears a high-tech brace on her right leg, which greatly improves her mobility. When she removes the brace, she exposes her misshapen foot and ankle, and a heel no longer as round and padded. She sometimes needs a wheelchair, because walking on her remaining leg is difficult.

“I don’t think I really appreciated what chronic pain means and how it just — it rules everything,” she says. “When you have that level of pain with every single step, you don’t want to take it.”

Every day, that pain has her asking herself an excruciating question.

“I didn’t know what it was going to be like to try to walk on something and live with a leg like that,” Kensky says. “Now that I know, I’m always in the back of my mind wondering if I would be better off with an amputation.”

That gets us back to Rescue.

Kensky got Rescue from a Massachusetts nonprofit called NEADS, which trains assistance dogs for people with disabilities. NEADS is offering a free service dog to any marathon bombing victim with a permanent physical disability.

Kensky, because of her continuing mobility problems, is the first to accept that offer. Rescue steadies her when she walks on crutches or with her prosthetic. But that’s not all he does.

“Come on — nudge!” she prompts him, and Rescue uses his paws to press an elevator button in Downes and Kensky’s new handicapped-accessible apartment building. “Good boy!” she says.

When Kensky drops her keys — “Rescue, fetch!” — the dog picks them up with his mouth and brings them to her.

Rescue can also open doors and retrieve a phone with his teeth — even if he drops it a few times and presses a few numbers in the process.

Having a dog also keeps Kensky and Downes physically active — a challenge for amputees.

”Here’s this big animal who needs to be taken out, he needs exercise, he needs to go to the bathroom, he needs to be fed,” Kensky says. “On the day you just don’t want to get off the couch, you don’t want to get in your wheelchair, you don’t want to put your prosthetic on, he looks at you with those eyes and you’ve got to take him out.”

A Value Beyond Assistance  …read the rest here.

Comments

15 Responses to “Service Dog Provides Comfort To Marathon Bombing Victims”

1. plumber in forest hills ny on September 23rd, 2014 12:26 pm

These away from support look unprofessional and also careless while doing so.
    Organizations additional train these constructing contractors, introduce new gear and conduct necessary seminars to
    deepen their know-how and introduce the newest trends in this line of operate.

Numerous domestic plumbing duties need a difficult accomplish within areas beyond
    in which the circulation is actually showcasing.

2. Efren on September 30th, 2014 7:34 pm

Everyone loves what you guys are usually up
    too. This sort of clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the superb works guys I’ve you guys to blogroll.

3. home insurance quotes on February 6th, 2015 12:18 pm

I do believe alll the concepts you’ve ofered inn your post.
    They are very convincng and will certanly work.
    Still, the posts are too sort for newbies. May just you please extend them a bit from subsequent time?

Thank you for the post.

4. Ngan on February 12th, 2015 4:58 am

I really like looking through an article that will make men and women think.

Also, thanks for peermitting me to comment!

5. Tyree on March 7th, 2015 6:07 pm

I must thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this site.

I really hope to check out the same high-grade content by you in the
    future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my very own blog now ;

6. slam dunk contest 2015 on March 11th, 2015 12:19 pm

One of the top choices for a hoops player would be Nike basketball shoes.
    Because of this the line started getting manufactured with
    materials that were lighter and in a three-quarter cut shoe
    instead of a high prime. Although it is essential that your workout plan has both plyometric and strength training exercises,
    I think it is even more important that you have the right mix of both.

7. attorney general illinois on March 13th, 2015 3:31 am

Can you tell us more about this? I’d loive to find out more details.

8. Virgie on March 21st, 2015 3:30 pm

Very nice blog post. I definitely appreciate this website.
    Keep it up!

9. Jonathan Ramsay on June 20th, 2015 5:28 pm

Verry good write-up. I certainly appreciate this website.
    Stick with it!

10. Janelle on July 2nd, 2015 7:01 pm

Hello there! This pozt couldn’t be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate!
    He always kept chatting about this. I will
    forward this article to him. Fairly certain he will have a
    good read. Thanks for sharing!

11. nick on August 20th, 2015 2:38 pm

what a great story to read. sad but uplifting. good write up

12. Maude on December 18th, 2015 6:29 am

As you reap the rewards of your hard work, you will find all the ttime and effort you devoted in building and developing your accounting qualifications
    are finally paying-off. Jonathhan Medows, CPA, MBA is the Managing Member off MEDOWS CPA, PLLC, a boutique New
    York CPA firm serving tthe needs of individuals,
    freelancers, self employed individuals & small businesses.
    You can also find Bisk textbooks that have tips, ideas and strategies
    regarding how to plan for the CPA exam, along with 1000s of
    practice questions sypported by in-depth explanations of correct and
    incorrect answers.

13. Rene on February 22nd, 2016 6:12 am

3: The role of HCG in a pregnant woman’s body is to make sure
    the developing baby receives calories and nutrients to survive.
    A vast helpful information on the HCG diet protocol
    is available through HCG suppliers an internet-based.
    The Hcg diet has been very effective for millions of individuals all around the globe for the past half a century.
    HCG hormone therapy is only available through a qualified physician. The
    500 calories per day required for the h – CG diet will rob you of precious nutrients.

14. Scott on July 14th, 2016 2:12 pm

It’s nice to read a warm and fuzzy dog story :)

15. Kira on July 22nd, 2016 3:38 am

magnificent points altogether, you simply won a new reader.
    What wold you suggest about your post that you made a few
    days in the past? Any positive?

Got something to say?